Sunday, April 11, 2010

return to haiti!!

After overnighting in Miami, I arrived yesterday with 2 other members of the Op Smile team. The rest arrive tomorrow. Let me first say that when the news talks about it being rainy season in Haiti, they really aren't kidding. It has rained both nights - and when I say rain, I mean torrential downpour. It's the kind of rain that's so loud that you can't hear someone talking who is a foot away. The camp has tried and put gravel down in as many places as possible, but it's impossible to avoid the mud. Enough about weather.
It was awesome to see almost all my patients again. When I walked into camp, some of them saw me and came running over to hug me. Which was great, because most of them couldn't even walk when I left last time. It's so great to see how much progress they've made. A couple of them still have their external fixators. One of our team's goals is to remove all the remaining fixators in the camp.
I've been told that I'm taking over as "charge nurse" for the camp. The current charge nurse, Lisa Friesen (we were together on the first Op Smile team here) spent the day going over everything and introducing me to everyone. So, I'll be responsible to make sure all the tents have nursing coverage, as well as the ARC (American Refuge Camp - about a mile away from us) clinic is staffed with a nurse and MD. I also do all of the "discharges" - which involves making sure people who are well enough to leave the camp have a place to go, and supplies so we don't just kick them out on the street. We've been giving tents, cooking oil, rice and clothing to everyone who is returning to Port-au-Prince. So it will be a busy week.
I had a chicken and dumpling MRE for dinner last night and was pleasantly suprised at how good it was.
It was fun to be able to talk to Ken, Ian and Madison via Skype last night(Haeli wasn't home). It's amazing how quickly I start missing my family. Love you guys!!
Despite it being only 9pm, I'm exhausted and better get to bed. It's great to be back.

1 comment:

  1. And you thought you weren't going to be able to see them again! I bet that was an awesome feeling! Glad you made it there safely! And looking forward to your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete