Thursday, April 15, 2010

crutch races



Today the surgical team began removing external fixators. They were able to get 16 of them off, and it looks like they'll be able to get all of them off by next Monday. We continue to get patients from the community. Today we had to transferred out 3 patients - an infant with seizures, a man with severe burn injuries and a young boy who needed specialized surgery in Miami. We're slowly discharging patients and decreasing the size of the hospital. We also held an immunization clinic today for most of the kids in the camp. Me and another nurse, Sarah, along with the pharmacist here gave about 100 immunizations. It was a great experience and very rewarding. Even though most of the kids cried when they recieved their shot, the parents all thanked us. The kids then all received a toy afterwards, so they quickly forgot about the pain of the shot.
It hasn't rained for the last 2 nights, so the camp has finally dried out. And it's as hot as ever during the day. I've always loved being in the sun, but I have to say that I've had my fill of it at this point. It seems like when it hits about 2pm, there is nowhere to escape from the searing heat.
There are two huge white tents that have been built to house certain patients - unaccompanied minors, those with non-healing wounds and other patients who are at high risk for infection. It's the only totally waterproof tent in the camp, as well as being very open and airy. So the other patients have a bit of tent envy going on. They also hold a big group physical therapy session in the white tent everyday. I went to watch it yesterday and found 2 cute girls - both of who have had amputations. They were racing each other back and forth and laughing so hard that everyone was watching and cheering them on (see photo). It's those kind of heartwarming moments that make it totally worth being here, and they're images I'll never forget.
I continue to help discharge patients. I'm averaging about 3-4 discharges a day. We always give everyone who leaves a tent, cooking kit and soap and other essential supplies. I also give them money for transportation for wherever they're going. Many are returning to Port-au-Prince, and others choose just to relocate just down the road at the refugee camp. It makes me so thankful for what I have to see how many people truly have nothing. I'm also glad that the camp is able to at least help them make a start. The camp also employs many local Haitians to cook, help manage the warehouse and translate. They have also trained one of the locals to be an x-ray tech, and he works independently without needing any help from the international staff. We also have the local Haitian nurses helping us staff the triage area.
The group of nurses that I'm in charge of are awesome. They are so willing to do anything I ask. Of course as always in Haiti, the only sure thing is that nothing is predictable, and so we very often have to change assignments or pick up new duties as the day wears on. They never complain and are doing such an amazing job with all of the patients. It makes me proud to be nurse. There are times when I've wondered if I should have done something else with my life - but right now I wouldn't want to be anything else but a nurse. Oh - did I mention that the rats are the size of small cats here?

No comments:

Post a Comment