Arrived in Haiti after an exhausting night of traveling. Nothing like the red-eye flight. Although better than overnighting in Miami, I have to say.
We've been to 2 orphanages, and as usual had an amazing time. Haiti of course never disappoints when it comes to incomparable experiences. We had a dance off at the first orphanage (they request we not use the name of the orphanage with any social media, so I'm honoring that) with the kids. Of course, the kids won hand down. They painted wooden cars and puppets, as well as designing their own t-shirts. We also left several suitcases of clothes, school and medical supplies. They were so sad when we left. I reallly hope to return there in the future.
The second "home" (Harvest for Humanity) is home to about 15 children. They don't like to be called an orphanage because they really try and provide more of a home atmosphere. They have also built a large greenhouse in an effort to become self sufficient and even have a contract with a local grocery store chain to sell them romaine lettuce. This is the first orphanage that I've been to that has a pool. And an actual clean, working pool at that. We also had the chance to walk down the hill and meet with a little Haitian family living near the home. They are so friendly and happy. And inspiring.
And for today, I bought more Haitian souvenirs that I absolutely don't need. Several paintings, some small wood containers, keychains - just to add to the already large pile at home. The trip to the Iron Market was memorable as always and I was able to pick up the voodoo candles that Haeli requested.
Tomorrow, Easter Sunday, we'll be going to mass in the morning, and then hopefully having a relaxing afternoon and then packing for our beach trip to Moulin Sur Mer. Hopefully I'll have internet and can write another post before leaving Haiti. I'm always inspired and moved by the people of Haiti and their spirit of survival and hope.
Saturday, April 4, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








Haiti never disappoints! I had so much fun with Ian and my friend Amanda Fowler!
ReplyDelete